Major life events mean you may need to review your Plans.
Review the questions below to see if it is time for an Estate Plan Check-Up
- Have you gotten married or divorced since you created your will and Powers of Attorney?
- If you have minor children, does your estate plan name Guardians for them?
- Have your children become adults since you created your plan?
- Are the agents listed in your Powers of Attorney still able to serve?
- Do your Powers of Attorney designate back up agents?
- Is the executor named in your will still able to serve? Do you have a back up executor named?
- Is there any personal property that you would like distributed that have not been clearly set forth in your planning documents, including the care of any surviving pets?
- Have you been widowed since your estate planning documents were signed?
- Have children or grandchildren been added to your family since your estate planning documents were signed?
- Have any of your children been married, divorced or died since your planning documents were signed?
- Have you, your spouse or child become physically or mentally incapacitated since your planning documents were signed?
- Have you moved between states since your planning documents were signed?
If you have answered ‘YES’ to any of these questions, it is a good idea to schedule a review.